Thursday, March 17, 2016

Irish Gymnasts To Qualify For Olympic Games

Kieran Behan, an artistic gymnast representing Ireland, aims to get past those Disney-script headlines by qualifying once again (2nd time) in the Summer Olympic Games. The Irish gymnast could also be accompanied by an Irish teenager who’s also aiming to reach her own Olympic dreams.

Ellis O’Reilly just turned 18 in February, but similar to Behan, the performances she displayed at the World Championships in Glasgow were impressive enough to win a spot in the Olympic qualification event – a feat that was never done by any female Irish gymnast before. 

The female Irish gymnast from Dartford qualifies for Ireland through her paternal grandparents and is currently balancing her time between her studies and her Olympic dreams.


“When I think of the Olympics I think it’s amazing because only a certain amount of people can get there. I never thought I would be in this position!” the blonde teenager admitted.

“I knew it was possible to qualify, but I didn’t really believe in myself fully. I thought if I could hit good scores at the World Championships that there would be a good possibility, but I just had to concentrate on my performances.”

O’Reilly and Behan need to finish at the top 24 of the Olympic qualification event to be able to qualify for this summer’s Rio Olympic Games.

This is the same exact path that Behan took to be eligible for the 2012 Olympic Games. “I’m confident that I can go there and achieve the qualifying standard.” The Irish gymnast said.

“Ellis has a fantastic opportunity as well,” he added.

“It’s brilliant to have the possibility of two Irish gymnasts competing in an Olympic Games, especially because no woman has ever done it before.”

“Ellis is in the same boat as I was in London. It’s thanks to all the hard work we’ve put in and everyone in Gymnastics Ireland too.”
The 26-year-old gymnast’s journey from being a wheelchair-bound child to a world-class Olympian today was the stuff of a movie-script 4 years ago and his journey to the 2012 Olympics had also been a very popular topic.


Behan, however, felt like he didn’t give his best shot at the previous Olympic games and said: “I feel I have unfinished business so qualifying for Rio would be like a redemption.”

“Getting to London was a massive long-shot for me and a huge learning curve. I didn’t know what to expect and I got myself as ready as I could at that point, but I was injured beforehand.”

“For me now I want to show people we’ve been through that (London) but I can offer this as well, that I still have much more to achieve at the top level,” he said.

“I learned so much about managing my body by preparing for London and competing there. I feel I am a better athlete now and hopefully I can now show that.”

For more gymnastics-related news and articles, you should read our articles posted on our educational blogs. Experience a fun and exciting gymnastics training, enroll today at Bianka Panova Sport and Art Academy and train with a world-class rhythmic gymnastics coach, Bianka Panova! Come and learn gymnastics for kids with us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment