Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Laura Halford Grabs Two Titles at British Rhythmic Gymnastics Championships

Three-time senior British Champion Laura Halford has successfully won two individual gold medals at the 2016 British Rhythmic Gymnastics Championships held last weekend. 

The young British gymnast impressed the judges to acquire the Clubs and Ribbon titles at the Echo Arena in Liverpool last Sunday, in addition with silver medals in the other two individual events (hoop and ball).


The victories came after she failed to defend her All-around British title the previous day, an award which she had consistently achieved for the past three years. 

Halford had to settle for the third spot, and it was her former club mate, Stephani Sherlock, who who was crowned the senior All-around British champion. The silver medal was won by Llanelli’s Gemma Frizelle.

Sherlock herself cannot believe the outcome of the competition, but she felt overjoyed with the results.

“I just feel so, so happy and so grateful for all the people who have supported me and believed in me, and who knew I could do it,” said Sherlock after the competition last weekend. 

“It’s been so hard and a long journey towards this medal – it means so much to me.”

Laura Halford missed the chance to make a gold medal sweep in the opening event on Saturday as she could only make a score of 13.250 in the Ball, almost 3 points behind the top performer’s score. 


Laura said: “Overall I’m happy. I didn’t have a very good start and I was disappointed with my performance but glad I showed determination to come through on the second day.”

“I just wish I’d shown it all the way through the competition.”

Laura, who is currently taking Sport and Exercise Science at Cardiff Metropolitan University, memorably acquired the team silver at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and bronze in the individual All-around and Ball events. 

She acquired her latest titles soon after acquiring the Welsh rhythmic gymnastics gold in Cardiff for the third consecutive time in July, where she also acquired three out of the four individual apparatus titles, winning the gold in the Hoop, Ball and Ribbon apparatuses. 

Laura added: “It’s been a really hard year; I’ve had a few good competitions but quite a few where I’ve not shown my full potential.”

“My coaches have been pleased with my improvements but I’m disappointed I can’t show it in competitions.”


She is now aiming to further boost her medal collection at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, which will be held on the Gold Coast of Australia. 

“If I’m selected I hope to repeat my successes,” said Laura “hopefully to claim an All-around medal and get a few more in the individual finals. “

Laura is currently enjoying her two week break before she proceeds to a training camp in Barcelona to further refine her routines ahead of the 2017 season. 

Visit our official blog sites to read more articles and news related to rhythmic gymnastics and the Olympic Games. Enroll now at Bianka Panova Sport and Art Academy and experience the most satisfying way to learn gymnastics for kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment